Saturday, December 7, 2013

It's a Wrap!

I would like to announce that this past Thursday was my final day for shooting! It was a great/frustrating experience to spend several consecutive hours in a dark (and not so ventilated room), but in the end I learned so much that I'm glad I did it. I had a great time being in my own world and giving life to my puppets, it was though at times when things did not go as I wanted such as unable to get the correct lighting, set caught on fire, incorrect timing and so on, but now I know a lot more what to do and not do in the future. Because this is a research for my grad film, I am glad that I started now and not later as I would not be able to cultivate all the skills and knowledge that I need if I only have a year to do everything.
In one semester this is what I am capable of doing, with more planning I know I can achieve more, better story with better quality of animation.

For now, farewell dear dark room, it's time to move on to editing and sound design for, an official title for my 3rd year experimental animation film, The Little Guy-as I have been calling this character from the beginning and feel that it's actually a good fit for him.


Here are the shots for the dream sequence.





Some of the dreams is done digitally in After Effects, I find that it's another stereoscopic process altogether (an easier one I would like to say because I don't have to built a set or anything), but still the aesthetic is very interesting as there's depth but yet everything looks flat, however with this attribute I played around with the transparency in which create an interesting effects in S3D.


The composition.



Interestingly I did not use After Effects as much as I thought I would. Yes, many of the dream sequences are created digitally but my initial thought of combining 2D and stop motion together did not come through. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.



Also not to forget I could not have come up with all these visuals if I'm not inspired with the arts of the influential animators and artists:

Jan Svankmajer, for his surreal minimal scene. His moody color palette also appeal to me tremendously.



Karel Zeman, his cut outs are extremely detailed and beautiful.



An installation by Sougwen Chung in which she plays with light and projection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment