Wednesday, December 18, 2013

THE LITTLE GUY

I am glad to announce that it is now done! The Little Guy is done! Of course I still have some tweaking to do, plus perfecting the 3D but overall the finished product is here.

I could not thank you enough for all the people who have helped me through out the process. Everybody from my love ones, my classmates and the technicians and teachers are the ones that got me through this long semester.



To conclude, these are the things I have learned along this process:

- Time: Almost always things take more time than initially estimated. In the future I will definitely make a more solid schedule and try to stick to it, and to give myself more time for errors.

- Planning: What is the story, what are the materials needed, budget, where to shoot etc. A good plan with plan B is how I should work from now on as on many occasions with this project I got lost while working on set and I had no plan B to fall on when things went wrong.

- Be calm: Very simple but actually very difficult. This is probably the biggest quality for an animator is to be patience and to know that animation = time. But of course I do get frustrated, especially when the result of tedious work did not come out as good as expected. I just need to remind myself to be calm and that it's ok to redo things and also to give myself a break once in a while.

- Miscellaneous: There are many little things related to animation and creating stop motion set that learned from this project, and to list a few:

- Don't use flammable material as a set. 
- Don't blare a spot light on the set.
- Low horizon lighting gives an afternoon feel.
- Place a black cloth over a camera to prevent heating up.
- Don't shoot resin under spot light (it gives off horrible fume).
- Tied everything down: camera, lights, set, puppet.
- Organize all files from the beginning; life will be much easier post production.
- Dynamic link and using proxies in AE and Premiere is an awesome work flow.
- Shooting in 4K gives more flexibility in color correcting.

There's a lot more I could write about, some might already be some general things that everybody already know but nevertheless I now know more what to do. I leveled up!

Please stay tune on this blog as I will continue to post about my work next semester and my senior year.

And here it is, The Little Guy. (password: LittleGuy)


No comments:

Post a Comment