Saturday, October 5, 2013

Gathering and Preparing

I now starting to gather some reference works from artists and animators that I like to set examples of the aesthetic for my animation. 

Juan Carlos Paz (Art Director/Illustrator), "Family Portraits".
This is exactly what I would like to achieve for my animation, a flawless (yet noticeable) marriage of the imaginary and the real. 



Don Hertzfeldt (Animator), "It's Such a Beautiful Day".
I could go on and on about Hertzfeldt's work. His simple stickman animation is so rich in both visual and content. He's one of the animators that I admire incredibly, in which not to imitate but I aspire to be able to capture the melancholic though hopeful visual story telling employ in his animations. The techniques that Hertzfeldt uses borrow a lot from experimental films, so I should probably study some more film visuals these up coming weeks to both gain inspirations of various experimentation that I can try. Above all I need to write up an uncomplicated script that will take my viewer into the story with just a few words.


Julia Potts (Illustator/Animator), "The Event".
Another example of a rich visual combination of live footage and animation. Potts's story is a twisted perspective of simple subjects: love, lost of love, boredom. The non-linear narrative and surreal but still understandable  dialogues of Potts's work might be what I incline towards rather than Hertzfeldt more coherent script as I do know that one of my weaknesses is script writing.


The writing will be the most challenging part for me. As for now my little guy is forming.








No comments:

Post a Comment