Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hello 2014

A little late for a New Year post but in any case, HAPPY NEW YEAR!





It's another semester and more animation challenges to be work upon. Similar to last year I will still explore the method of stopmotion animation in stereoscopic 3D. The difference would be the techniques that I will explore, starting of with elements animation-creating wind, fire, water and other effects with stop motion.

As a little exercise, I shot some animation this week and practiced some sound design.





In this first week we began to think about the story and the subject for our project. As always, I have some ideas that I would like to use, but these ideas are sort of just vague themes-composite of images and quotes that sprung up in my mind. Certainly I do have an aesthetic style that I would like to pursue; a minimalistic surreal world with cool pastel palette of yellow, blue and grey and definitely with many creatures. The atmosphere will be subdued, giving out a nostalgic and melancholic vibe. This style is very much inspired by the work of Eastern European animator such as the work of Jiri Trnka or this work by Piotr Kamler. 


Piotr Kamler - Une Mission Ephemere 1993 from Paracelso Zeppelin on Vimeo.

A more recent influences are the works of Allison Schulnik and Jessica Ashman. Even though both of them have a clean visual, they have a very different "feel" to their film. I like Schulnik's work for her haunting images and character design but at the same time I would like to create a lively environment with peculiar objects like Ashman. 

The story I have in mind focuses on two characters-one frantic and insecure and another calm and strong. Their relationship is a one way support with one character always having to comfort the other. As they travel through their strange world and encounter various odd creatures, trying to find "The Thing", we see how their relationship evolve. Somehow I will try to incorporate the notion of communication, human emotions (fear, insecurity, hope and hopelessness), and death, all in a heart-warming and humorous way. The best way to achieve this is probably through character design. 

Here are some of the visuals and quotes.


"Should we seized our existence here?"


"Oh...I would like to be in these glass boxes too."


Giant fish blob: "You will never find "The Thing"...and sugar daffodils are melting"






No comments:

Post a Comment