Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Storyboard Squiggles

Hey, I've got a storyboard here! Of course it is just a first draft and bound to change.




I've got my inspiration from various shows and films. One of them being my childhood favorite, Bing and Bong (Tiny Planets). The base relationship of my characters are inspired by these two characters, how one is more of the adult figure while the other is more mischievous. However, their relationship is we simple and two dimensional while I think I will try to add more emotional dissonance for mine. Another aspect of this show that I attracted to is their adventure on various planets, meeting all sorts of whimsy creatures and learning new things. 



Next up is Ren and Stimpy, or really just any 90s cartoons with grotesque close up. I find this ugly zooming in of something that look normal intriguing--it doesn't even have to be gross just not appearing as it seems. This attraction is also from microscopic images of anything at all around us, they are images that I would not have imagine or associate with what I see with bare eyes.


As for recent inspiration here is a student film from Norway, you can read all about But Milk is Important here on their blog. Dark, eerie and at times verge on disturbing, this short animation is nothing like the incredibly adorable characters we see. With the juxtaposition of how you should feel about the film, an heart-warming yet uncomfortable feeling is created in which is exactly what I would love to instill in my film.


Another surreal installment, Fantastic Planet (1973). I could not describe more how mind twisting and tranquil nightmarish this film is. The world is dangerous and this film portrays that aspect of fear and existentialism very well. 


Lastly, a music style I would like to use for my film. Sweet and playful, a theme from an anime Kaiba.


No comments:

Post a Comment